So far I've discovered 2 issues with respect to the Quarterly Oracle "Critical Patch Update" (abbreviated "CPU" henceforth) and Hyperion / Oracle EPM 11.2.x.
The problem seems to have been introduced with the October 2021 CPU and continues to be present in the January 2022 CPU.
So far, I've observed 2 symptoms:
- The legacy frconfig utility fails to launch. No error message is provided. The javaw process appears briefly in your process list and then closes.
- The EAS Console screen that is supposed to display a graphical chart when viewing ASO Essbase aggregate information is blank.
- Back up your Middleware\jdk folder.
- Download the Java 8 quarterly CPU. Don't run the installer. In the case of Windows, use 7-zip to unzip the included .gz file and then again use 7-zip to unpack the .tar file included therein. Linux nerds like me know what to do on the Linux side of the fence.
- MERGE the files extracted from the tar into your Middleware\jdk. This will replace your JDK binaries that WebLogic cares about, while also preserving the JRE files that include JavaFX (EAS Console wants these) and the stuff frconfig needs.